Read the 2014 review of how dietary omega-6 nutrients give BOTH benefit and harm, depending on intakes.
- EAR-Unwanted dermal signs were present in 100% infants receiving 0.04 % energy as linoleate, but in only 40% infants receiving 0.07 % energy as linoleate and not in any receiving 1.3 %. The EAR may be near 0.06 % of energy.
- RDA-Thousands of healthy infants were raised with diets containing omega-6 as 0.4 to 0.9 % energy, and calculation showed that probably less than 0.5 % energy was needed to prevent deficiency symptoms in infants. This level may meet requirements for 97% to 98% of infants.
- AI– Although not rigorously determined, intakes from 1 % to 2 % of daily energy as omega-6 seem adequate.
- Quintiles of dietary intake of linoleate-in the USA have the following means: 2.9; 4.4; 5.5; 6.9; 10.3 en%. All quintiles were above the estimated AI noted above. Men in the four higher quintiles of omega-6 intake had higher %n-6 in HUFA (near 80%), and about twice the incidence of heart attacks as men in the lowest quintile (near 60%).
- UL-Excessive omega-6 eicosanoid actions and thrombotic deaths are less frequent when food choices cause omega-3 to balance omega-6 in tissue HUFA and make the %n-6 in HUFA be less than 60%.